Friday, October 13, 2006
Why Doctors Resist the EMR
( Cartoon from Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, "Random Zits," Andrews McNeal Publishing, 2004)
Top Ten Reasons Electronic Medical Records Aren’t Catching On With Doctors
10) Privacy concerns and concerns about controlling access to records
8) Inability to archive and retrieve graphical information (EKG's, rhythm strips, photos, etc.)
7) Computer system obsolescence and need for renewed investment later
6) Lack in system interconnectivity and the continued need for redundant data entry across platforms.
5) Time for data entry
4) Pay for Performance and its implementation using the EMR (A must-read example: via Dr. Rant)
3) Docotes caoifg thyk
2) Soxters can”t t7pe
1) Doctors can’t type!