Friday, October 27, 2006

Suffering Blogopenia

Blogopenia – Definition: adj. suffering from writer’s block, lack of material on which to blog
Etymology: blog: 1999-2004; abbreviation of Weblog and -penia: (New Latin from the Greek: peni): lack, deficiency.

I starting writing my blog this morning and noticed that the word “Blog” was underlined by my spell-checker on my Mac software, Word 2004. Newer spell-checkers now ignore the term and Dictionary.com has it on their website, so the word “blog” is now firmly added to our vernacular.

In my perusing of other blogs, I noticed some other medical suffixes applied to the word “blog,” like blogorrhea (people who blog too much or expound beyond reasonable limits). I just thought I’d add this word to my blogging vernacular this AM since I’m definitely “blogopenic.”

Maybe there are other terms out there and we could start our own blogging dictionary!

-Wes

08:25 AM C.S.T.: Addendum: From Musemonkey: As always, seems I'm a day late to this party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Dr. Wes, may I please add your new word to my "Blogtionary?" I have a whole load of new bloggy words that I want to add to it as soon as I can get around to it. :o)