Friday, March 06, 2009

Suddenly, For Hospitals, It's Time to Get Serious

Paul Levy, CEO of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, tells us why:
"Part of the solution to this problem will be to lay off people. I'm not sure how many yet, and I am hoping you can help me figure out how to minimize the number by using more creative and less disruptive ways to solve the problem. I am going to hold some town meetings in the next several days to get your thoughts about alternative concepts. I will lay out some ideas here, so you can be thinking about them. You can write back now, or you can tell me in person later. Perhaps you will want to discuss them with your colleagues. Perhaps you have better ideas to suggest. We'll soon set up an electronic chat room, too, to permit people to share their thoughts more broadly with the community."
As of this moment, no one's replied to this post.

-Wes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd really want to send an email/blog comment from a work computer (where it can be tracked back to me), to the guy who ultimately holds my fate in his hands.

Marco said...

What he should have (and will never do) is to have an old-fashioned wooden suggestion box for anonymous comments. But with that, he'd get ideas about cutting back executive pay and removing useless layers of management.

Marco

Dr. Deb said...

How can lay-offs really help? C'mpn, now.