Friday, September 01, 2006

The Great Adventure

I am awake at 2AM, but I am asleep.
I have nurtured you, at least I thought.
Cared for you, but remained deaf and dumb.
Watched your struggles, tears, yet inside, I cry.
You are bigger now, I am wise, yet a neophyte.
You are stubborn, yes, but listen.
You cannot. You must not. By why?
Words whisper.

I was once like you are now, and I know that its not easy,
To be calm when you’ve found something going on.
But take your time, think a lot,
Why, think of everything you’ve got.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.


Succeed yourself, not for me. Stumble. Get up.
Care for others, not for me, yet remember me, I pray.
I will never understand, will I?
Just pick up the ball and throw it back, will you?
It’s not hard. Is it? Yes, it was. I am sorry.
Will we be friends? Can we talk? Will you close the door?
I know not.

How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again.
Its always been the same, same old story.
From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen.
Now there’s a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.


The Great Adventure is at hand.
Go easy. Your way.
But do it, just do it. Do it the best you can.
Life is an adventure. Live it, love it.
My words sound so diminutive.

All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
Its hard, but its harder to ignore it.
If they were right, I’d agree, but its them you know not me.
Now there’s a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.


Images: sandbox, paramedics, northern pike, treble, chickens, saxophone, Wales, sacred cows, boulders in Jamaica, UPS, drivers license.
So fast, fleeting. Where did it go?
There’s so much to say, but the clock has expired.
But the game is just beginning.

Play hard, son.

I hope you never fear those mountains
in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance,
Living might mean taking chances
But they are worth taking,
Loving might be a mistake
But it's worth making,
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider,
Give the heavens above more
Than just a passing glance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance . I hope you dance.


We love you. God speed.

-Dad

With thanks to Cat Stevens and Leanne Womack

No comments: