Sunday, August 19, 2012

Creamed Onions

Sometimes I write things for this blog, but after considerable reflection, decide (for whatever reason) not to post them.  Tonight, my wife an I were having dinner and she turned to me and mentioned that she had stumbled across a Word document on our computer containing a piece that she suspected I had written for my blog.  It was.  She asked if I had posted it.  I thought I had.  She turned to me briefly and whispered, "That was really nice.  You know,  it's strange.  I can't even recall the exact day she died.  I should remember details like that.  Damn."

Later I sat down at my computer and searched my blog for the piece and realized it had never been published, probably because it was written about my mother-in-law and things were moving too quickly.  It was to be her last Thanksgiving, and while it's not Thanksgiving now, it contains details that I, too, had forgotten, but helps me reflect on her wonderful life now.
I met her nearly thirty years ago: a older woman with a thick Bostonian accent. Opinionated. Forthright. Not afraid to share her thoughts. That’s the way it was. It was, after all, her house.

We met at the small wooden kitchen table that used the wall-hung telephone as its centerpiece and pierced the air with the loudest ring I’d ever heard. (I later learned her husband had been an infantryman in the Korean war who had heard his share of mortars.)

She had fixed dinner for the family – all of whom were arriving to meet her daughter’s new boyfriend: a small salad, ham, yellow mustard, mashed potatoes, and creamed onions.

The latter, I was to discover, was her personal favorite. Any gathering of family importance had them; the small iridescent pearls of tiny onions resting on cream-based sauce carefully created from a flour roux and can of the pearly whites. If it weren’t for her enthusiasm, I probably could have passed on them, but as it was, I had no choice but to place them on my plate. That’s the way she was.

A few Thanksgivings ago I sat with her, her eyes more sunken, her temples more defined. Her legs were thinner than I had remembered them just months before, and her voice was softer. Her graciousness, however, remained. She arrived bundled in her nicest jacket, her gait assisted by a quad cane and her husband’s gentle lift only a day after being discharged from the hospital. She smiled at the cacophony that greeted her. Folding chairs were pushed aside. She was led to a prime location to supervise the kitchen, a more stable chair arranged. The matriarch had arrived.

She saw that her son’s house was as hers had been this time of year: abuzz with activity and controlled chaos. Within the hustle and the bustle of meal preparation and family photos, came a phone call. Her daughter answered. Amongst the chatter a recipe was mentioned. It seems her granddaughter, unable to attend the local meal, had called to share a tradition involving small onions in her home. I saw the tiniest of smiles rise from her lips. For a brief moment the tumor didn’t matter, her pain forgotten.

Before long the meal materialized. Turkey, oyster stuffing, potatoes, green bean casserole, and there, hidden in the corner hidden in a warming dish, her creamed onions. More food than could ever be consumed. As we all waited our turn, her husband made her plate with tiny flecks of turkey, a strand or two of green bean, a half teaspoon of sweet and mashed potatoes, and a single creamed onion.

Her husband said the grace. “Bless us, o’ Lord, and these thy gifts which we are about to receive…” I stared at our plates and then at hers. The tiny onion, there alone. Her eyes closed and soft hands folded. I wondered what she was thinking. What does one think at their last Thanksgiving? I hated myself for wondering.

Really, it doesn’t matter. It was about the here and now that mattered. “Life is what happens when you’re making other plans,” my wife reminds me. And sure enough, despite a week and a half of food intolerance and dehydration, she ate it all.

Even the creamed onion.

And for that, we were all incredibly grateful.

-Wes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shame if this story had been lost. Great writing.
-Steve

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It's the smallest of things, a gentle touch, a gesture, a certain feeling in the air, that can bring back such deep awesome memories! That was such a beautiful feeling, she must have experienced when her granddaughter was calling for the recipe..... Brings warmth to my heart.
Thank you for sharing.

Ann said...

Having just lost someone, I wanted to say thank you for posting this.

p.s. the word verification on your blog is very difficult to read. Took me five tries :(