Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Shout-Out to Street Anatomy

One of the more interesting blogs to follow is Street Anatomy which "obsessively covers the use of human anatomy in medicine, art, and design."

On a recent trip to Portland, Oregon to attend a wedding, I noticed a bit of street anatomy there and immediately thought of their blog:


The above image was part of a much larger mural:


(Sadly, I was unable to find much about the mural but will leave it to my readers to think of a clever title.)

Shortly thereafter we walked over to the Saturday Market where tons venders market their goods by the riverfront. I stumbled on this piece by Jerry Grose, a retired bank chief operating officer who uses clay as his medium:

Click image to enlarge

The mosaic on the clay was created by applying strands of horse hair to the hot clay as it cooled. (No, those are not cracks). Nice stuff and not too expensive. I don't think Mr. Grose has a website, though, so you'll have to visit Portland's Saturday Market and tell him I sent you.

It's amazing what medical stuff you can find on the street if you just look for it. Thanks, Street Anatomy.

-Wes

No comments: