Friday, March 26, 2010

Why Do Medicine When You Can 'Advise' for $3000 a Day?

It's very generous of Sanolfi-Aventis's marketing department to make this offer (pdf) for me to serve as an "advisor" for dronedarone today, but seriously, I was a bit skeptical that they wanted my "feedback on the reasons for and against utlilization of Multaq® in the appropriate patient as well as to understand communication and educational needs with regard to Multaq® and the atrial fibrillation state in general."

Where were they when the drug launched? Might it be because it's this drug has not been quite the blockbuster they'd hoped for?

But of course I'd never be swayed to use more of this drug by this important consulting work.

No, really.

-Wes

P.S.: To Sanolfi-Aventis marketers: Please update your prescriber database with my correct workplace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do the rest of us get in on this?

The Happy Hospitalist said...

I got offered $1000 to talk about an antibiotic for 15 minutes. They provide the slides and food. I provide my "expertise".

No thank you. I think your antibiotic is too expensive.

Anonymous said...

have any studies actually confirmed that dronedarone actually reduces the amount of time spent in a-fib? i mean it seems that there might be statistically significant increases in time to first hospitalization and even cardiovascular death in those without advanced HF, but in my experience with the drug, it hasn't performed so well as an anti-arrhythmic!