Wednesday, February 06, 2013

On the Joy of Medicine

Medicine is unique because it involves people.  While people make this job challenging, they also make this job the best job in the world.  Today was no exception.

Today I met a new patient who has allowed me to share a brief story and a snippet of his medical history here on this blog.  His name is Mr. Carl Bogaard.

On January 9, 2012, Mr. Bogaard wrote a brief note to the Chicago Tribune that said simply:
"My family is treating me like a hero just because I am going to be 95 years old. How lucky can I be to have a family like that?"
The letter was noticed by a local radio personality, Jonathan Brandmeier from WGN, who contacted Mr. Bogaard and learned that he performed 50 push-ups a day, every day.  So he decided to invite him to a push-up competition.  Take a moment to view Mr. Bogaard's YouTube video of his competition:



While this video is remarkable in its own right, there is a little something else you should know.

Mr. Bogaard has a permanent pacemaker that was implanted in 2009 for complete heart block and is completely dependent on his pacemaker for his heart to beat.  Oh, and he really did 59 push-ups.

Now you know why I love my job.

-Wes

4 comments:

rlbates said...

Love it!

Lisa said...

Cool. While a radical mastectomy and LQTS tells me that push ups aren't my sport, knowing that an elder can do then is facinating.

Anonymous said...

Wow

Anonymous said...

I want a pacemaker too! Just kidding
Wish the limelight had not diverted away from Carl B.at the conclusion of the push up contest. 95 years on this planet? He ought to be accorded
any and all accolades for his dedication to fitness.