Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Interrupters

'The Interrupters' tells the stories of three Violence Interrupters who try to protect their communities from the violence they once employed. Shot over the course of a year out of Kartemquin Films, 'The Interrupters' captures a period in Chicago when it became a national symbol for violence in America. During that time, the city was besieged by high-profile incidents, most notably the brutal beating of Derrion Albert, a Chicago High School student, whose death was caught on videotape.



This is where I'll be tonight. I'd encourage all my readers to see this movie if it comes to your town because people can make a difference. You can read more about the movie here and where the screenings are being held here.

-Wes

2 comments:

Dan Munro said...

Sad to see - no screenings for us here in Phoenix (America's 5th largest metro). I'll see what I can do - because I do know some places where this could be done fairly easily.

Dennis said...

The effort is like on grain of sand on a very big beach... It comes down to a way of life and a culture and an attitude and respect. Respect not only for law and order but for one's self and others. Most sorely lacking.
It will never get better in my lifetime nor in the next. IMHO. This behavior is like a cancer... spreading slowly until it kills.