Wednesday, February 11, 2015

How Do I Say Goodbye?

So what does a son say to his mother for the very last time?  What does he whisper in her ear?

I will say "I love you."  I will say "thank you."  I will say "God bless you." I will say "I'll miss you."  I will say "You've been the best mother a son could ever hope for." I will say nothing, probably, and cry.

Go in peace knowing you gave your family more than they can ever repay. Know we'll always be reminded of your kindness, your tenderness, your gentleness and care. Be proud of what you've accomplished in your 89 years, especially with your family. You were our glue and always made your home so welcoming.  You taught us the art of the written word and the special place for whimsy. Hundreds of kindergartners and first-graders that you taught all those years will miss you too.

Thanks for being so wonderful to my kids - they will always remember your kindness, thoughtfulness, compassion, warm home and tender words.  Give Dad a high-five when you see him for me. We'll think of you every time we water the flowers, tend the garden, make a fire, cook a meal, attend the theatre, play guitar or gather as a family.

Our "Blessed."

Until we meet again, God bless. Thank you for everything you've taught me, showed me, and gave to me all these years. You'll always be my compass.

I love you, Mom.

BARTER

by Sara Teasdale

Life has loveliness to sell,
  All beautiful and splendid things
Blue waves whitening on a cliff,
  Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up
Holding wonder like a cup.

Life has loveliness to sell,
  Music like a curve of gold,
Scent of pine trees in the rain,
  Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
And for your spirit's still delight,
Holy thoughts that star the night.

Spend all you have for loveliness,
  Buy it and never count the cost;
For one white singing hour of peace
  Count many a year of strife well lost,
And for a breath of ecstasy
Give all you have been, or could be.

-Wes

At our last concert together

15 comments:

jimbo26 said...

God bless .

Christian Sinclair said...

Wes,

So sorry to hear about your mother. Thanks for sharing your experience in this challenging time.

Christian

Susan Barcroft said...

My heart hurts so bad! Wes...I'm so sorry! :(

Unknown said...

My deepest sympathies. Mothers never die they live with us through eternity, the prayers and condolences of your many readers are with you

scutcheon said...

Wes, Polly and I offer our sincere sympathy. It is so very hard to lose a parent, and it can never come at a good time. Your written thoughts express what a wonderful relationship you had with your Mom. Our thoughts are with you. Jon Richter

NephTangles said...

So touching! I am sorry for your loss.

John Mandrola said...

Bear hug to you my friend. Sorry for your loss. Peace be with you.

Allen said...

Beautifully written, and with love.

I wish you and you family the best going forward, and happy memories all around.

Unknown said...

Westby remember your mother is proud of you...

Dr A said...

Well said. Something we need to all remember everyday and tell those we love everyday.

Unknown said...

My condolences to you and family! Be happy too, for now on you are having a strong & unbeaten advocate sitting next to God in heaven.

Anonymous said...

While I don't know you, I was reduced to a puddle after reading the tribute to your mom! What a special person you are and she too must have been special to receive such loving words. Bless you all..Joan

Anonymous said...

God bless you both and the entire family. I think she'll be very proud of her son. Prayers for all of you.

Anonymous said...

You said all the things that were in my heart but was never able to find words for. How blessed you both were to have one another. Remember she lives on in you, and take joy in your memories.
Elizabeth

Unknown said...

My condolences to you and your family, sorry to hear about your mother. Your mother sounds like an amazing woman who left a great legacy. You're in my prayers.