Monday, August 26, 2013

On Sabbatical

I will be sparsely interacting with the internet as I take my last child off to college this week.  It's a strange time - one where the home becomes more quiet as a moment ends for the parent yet heralds and exciting beginning for their child.  Others have recently articulated this strange time well, so I leave you with the words of a much better writer, Michael Gerson of the Washington Post:
"Eventually, the cosmologists assure us, our sun and all suns will consume their fuel, violently explode and then become cold and dark. Matter itself will evaporate into the void and the universe will become desolate for the rest of time. ... (Read the rest)
-Wes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know whether to say congratulations or not. LOL! I dread that day myself. My daughter started college a year ago. My son is 13 and now starting 8th grade. I am not looking forward to my children growing up. And yet I am.

Michael T. said...

Congratulations to your daughter! It's hard letting them go, but your happy that they get to live their lives.

Margaret Polaneczky, MD said...

We too are facing the empty nest, having dropped younger daughter off to college and tomorrow older daughter to her new job in another city.

Many mixed feelings. Should be an interesting time...

Congrats to you.