That's right: Gone. Kaput. Fi-ne.
In their place we now have five new codes, two of which are specific for atrial fibrillation ablation:
- 93653 - For use with SVT/WPW/Focal ATach/IVC-Tricuspid annular-dependent flutter ablations - Don't even THINK about coding separately for transseptal catheterization with this one - it's now bundled. (If 3D mapping is needed, it looks like it's still okay to add 93613 to this code - for now. Also, for Afib ablations, do NOT use this code, but rather a separate code (See 93656 and 93657 below)). RVU Value: 15.
- 93654 - For use with Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation - This includes everything from placement of catheters, to the transseptal (if needed), AND the use of 3D mapping, and the ablation of VT. (Remember: no separate code of transeptal and 3D mapping with this code.) RVU Value: 20.
- If there is a SECOND arrhythmia focus that is ablated during EITHER SVT or VT ablation codes above, you can use add-on code 93655 but must specify the second arrhythmia targeted. Total RVU value: 7.5
- 93656 - For use with Atrial Fibrillation ablations - This includes the placement of catheters, the transseptal, pacing, mapping, giving meds, etc. up to and including isolation of the pulmonary veins. (It appears 3D mapping (93613) can be billed separately for this code, unlike for the VT ablation)Total RVU value: 20.02.
- 93657 - Used in addition to the Afib ablation code, 93656, if linear lines are developed in the atria following pulmonary vein isolation procedure. Total RVU value 7.5