Monday, January 18, 2010

Just Call Me "Doctor Snitch"

In a continuing effort to drive a stake though the doctor-patient relationship, insurers are now turning to doctors to serve as their investigatory snitch in attempts to deny patients coverage:
"To your knowledge, as the patient been seen by any other healthcare professional for the above condition between the dates of 12/01/08 and 03/01/09? ____ YES ____ NO

If yes, please provide the name(s) and address(es) of the other healthcare professional(s):"
Like I have nothing better to do than to serve the simultaneous roles of deep throat and directory assistance operator for an insurer...

-Wes

3 comments:

Marco said...

This is like the old Communist regimes where people were rewarded for turning in their neighbors. Disgusting!

Just say "No".

Marco

Anonymous said...

These forms drive me crazy. Can I be held liable if i don't fill it out accurately? I'm supposed to carefully review our EMR to answer the questions? In what way am I reimbursed for this time?

I called the insurance company to yell at them once.

That did a lot of good.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, you can't just say no. If the forms are not filled out, the doc won't get payed for treating the patient, or if he's already been paid, it will be deducted from future payments.

I do make it standard policy to cross out, date, and initial any line that says something like "I attest to the accuracy of the information contined . . . etc." I've never had a form sent back because of that.

He who pays gets to make the rules.