Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Now That's Determination

... when you have to reach for a urinary catheter to finish a marathon:
Since he started running at age 50, the 81-year-old Johncock has done more than 400 races, ranging from 5K to 50K, including more than 100 marathons. He said he's never dropped out of a race.

"I wanted to finish. I didn't want to go to the hospital." But he knew he couldn't get to the finish without relieving himself.

"My bladder would've have burst or something," he said.

Then a spectator who overheard the conversation said he had a spare catheter in his car.

"I said, 'Oh, you saved my life. And you saved my marathon.'"

Johncock was able to insert it himself.
'nuf said.

-Wes

1 comment:

Marco said...

A useful skill...there are now La-Z-boy recliners that come with built-in coolers and snack trays. If you insert a catheter, you can watch ALL the games in a weekend;)

Marco