Thursday, October 02, 2008

Cardiologists vs Electrophysiologists

It seems in cardiology, things are so tiny: tiny angioplasty balloons, itsy bitsy guidewires to snake down the smallest of coronary arteries. Heck most things they deal with are measured in millimeters: need I say more? Now electrophysiologists, well, I've already had my say.

But Dr. Val, today's guest blogger who transitions from her old space at Dr. Val and The Voice of Reason at Revolution Health to her new site at Getting Better With Dr. Val, notes a new trend in medical marketing to these marvelous medics of the miniature:

Heh. Dare I say it?... Click picture to ENLARGE...



Anonymous said...

So these are sub-sub-specialists? I suppose you need a referral from a regular cardiologist to see one, too. More money out of pocket.

Anonymous said...

An electrophysiologist is a cardiologist who specializes in heart rhythms. There are many different types of treatment for afib including drugs, cardioversion and certain types of surgical approaches. The type of treatment best for you can be determined by an electrophysiologist.

I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.

If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.