Saturday, March 22, 2014

ACC's 2014: What's Out There That's New?

I will be attending the ACC 2014 Scientific Sessions this year in Washington, DC.  Theheart.org has a nice post covering some of the early highlights of the conference (sorry, registration required).

But I'm going to try something a bit different this year.  Call it self-indulgence.  I'm going to try all my might to pull my head out of the corporate weeds for a while and look to my colleagues and start-up  friends to see where the innovation in health care is going, not where we've been.  After all, MADIT CRT, TAVR (Corevalve included), renal denervation (SYMPLICITY-3), colchicine in pericarditis (CORP 2 Trial), and 3-year results of bariatric surgery are, well, not exactly cutting edge.

I need to get back to my roots more.  While I'm a doctor, I'm also a biomedical engineer, a social media nerd, and a guy who loves innovation and creativity in medicine.  I want to discover new ideas, new people.  I want to discover those who want to attack the colossal challenges patients will have in health care delivery in the years ahead with new and innovative strategies for cardiovascular disease or cardiac arrhythmia management.  I want to connect with those who want to upend the status quo.   I want to wander around in the swamp of creativity instead of being led lock-step toward more marketing spin.

Am I crazy? Does such a venue exist at this years' ACC Scientific Sessions?

We'll see.

-Wes

(If you'd like to connect or have something that's really cool that might be interesting to discuss over breakfast or lunch one day, shoot me an e-mail at wes - at - medtees dot com or message me via Twitter at @doctorwes .  Please, no marketing pitches.)

1 comment:

CasesBlog said...

Try a tweetup. We enjoy it every year during the annual AAAAI meeting:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajlo36xvP22vdEF1WjJCSEtyRTRSRnJfdzB6THhLZHc&usp=sharing